Thursday 29 May 2014

X I'm Not Straight Edge But I Agree With It X





First thing I want to talk about is Patty Walter's new video! If you haven't seen it please watch it here.-->







Also, I'm not straight edge.


But I so agree with this. I personally don't see how filling your body with depressants allows you to have a good time. Surely it will just make you feel crappy and down and yet people who drink want to try and make people not drinking feel crappy and down for that. This is a situation in which we cannot win so I choose not to drink as it saves money and my liver. 

Now here's the bit I really don't understand.

People who are really depressed decide to drink. But this will only enhance their problems. It ends up being this vicious cycle where you drink because you're depressed and because you're depressed, you drink. Finish your pint and repeat. But nobody ever stops and thinks "hey, if I didn't drink depressants so much, I wouldn't be depressed so much." I mean... It seems pretty logical to me. 


Now I'm not going to act like a saint, it's not like I've never had alcohol. But I have absolutely zero interest in getting drunk. I don't like pushing my limit but at the same time, I've never been drunk so I don't actually know my limit. To be honest... this is even better because by not wanting to push my limit, I drink even less. By drinking less, I am so much better off. I'm the sort of person to go to a party, dance all night and survive on water, juice and pepsi. Yeah I might act crazy but that's just me, not my alcohol induced alter ego.

As a teenager, this is a very unpopular view to have. Alcohol is glorified by the age group. It is this amazing thing that, up until 18 in the UK, is this (for the most part) illegal substance that is rebellious to drink and therefore cool because we're not meant to be drinking it. Nobody ever seems to stop and say "Well surely there's a reason we're not allowed it?" As if it doesn't make you lose control of yourself and become a different person. But if that different person commits a crime, it's still you doing the jail time. In my head, alcohol is closely linked with regret and depression, two things I would be more than happy to avoid, so why not avoid being drunk whilst I'm at it?



These posters kind of sum it up for me. Why do things you'll regret in the name of a "good time"? I'd much rather stay sober and dance. It's much more fun than doing things I regret all to feel like shit the next morning, sitting there with a hangover and barely able to survive the day.





I know this probably sounded like a propaganda piece, but it's not. If you want to drink, then drink. I just get sick of not being understood by others and thought this might be a good blog entry to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment