Thursday 25 September 2014

Rumours and Being Called Autistic

Recently at college there have rumours within a certain group of people I know. These rumours concerned me and my love life (which doesn't actually exist, hence why these are no more than rumours.)

Firstly, there were rumours that one of my friends liked me. I knew full well that this was not the case. We share a mutual feeling of "You're a bit of a prick but we're friends nonetheless so let's just keep you in the friendzone." This was a rumour I could cope with on it's own.

The second rumour I heard was along similar lines only with a different person who I was not (at least at the time) quite as close with. I heard this once and then later on that day, I heard it again. Only the second time it was more developed and made to sound like something that had spread more widely and the other person involved was aware of. This set me off in a panic as it made me think he had confirmed some sort of truth to this, to which there was none. However, when I confronted him on the matter, he had no idea what was going on and this was the first he had heard of it.

This first person I started hearing rumours from has started being even more annoying though. On Monday, I was in a room with him when I threw some sellotape at his water bottle. Not him, his water bottle. I hot the target but he still turned round and called me autistic because "autistic people throw things." Now, I have nothing against autistic people. I do, however, find it rather offensive both to myself and people who do suffer from autism that this be said. He then went on to tell me I have anger issues to which I thought "no shit, you just called me autistic." and then he told me I must have some form of mental illness.

I'm sorry, what!?

As if he hadn't already been offensive enough, he then told me I must have a mental illness. For all he knows, I do. I really found this offensive. As somebody who may or may not suffer anxiety/a panic disorder, depression, a sleeping disorder and has previously had an eating disorder... I found this seriously offensive.

Today, I told two mutual friends about what had happened. They told me that I shouldn't take it seriously as this guy had clearly been joking. This has only further pissed me off. I have talked to this guy and explained that I am annoyed and laid out my reasons as to why.

Lesson here: Don't call people autistic or tell them they have anger issues or a mental illness. These are serious things and it may well result in upsetting/annoying a person.

Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment